Main Article Content
This paper discussed secondary education as well as governments’ rationale for its establishment. The paper also discussed assessment and the various strategies for the assessment of teaching-learning processes at the level. Moreover, the paper discussed evaluation of teaching and learning, and the strategies that could be employed in executing evaluation in schools, with explicit key differences between assessment and evaluation highlighted. In all, the paper concluded that assessment and evaluation are vital procedures for boosting teaching and learning activities in secondary schools in Nigeria; and suggested that assessment and evaluation strategies be enshrined in the secondary school curriculum, teachers be regularly trained and re-trained in the art of assessment and evaluation; government and education ministries should provide the needed tools and instruments for implementing assessment and evaluation of the teaching-learning processes, and education inspectors should frequently visit secondary schools as to ascertain teachers’ level of compliance with government policies on assessment and evaluation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Awotua-Efebo, E.B. (2001). Effective teaching: principles and practice. Port-Harcourt: Paragraphics.
- Black P and Wiliam D. (2005). Inside the black box: Raising standards through classroom assessment: Granada Learning.
- Black P, Harrison C, Lee C, Marshall B, Wiliam D. (2007). Assessment for learning. UK: McGraw-Hill International (UK) Limited.
- Buseri, J.C. and Dorgu, T.E. (2011). The relevance of instructional materials for effective Curriculum delivery n Nigeria. Journal of issues in professional Teacher Education (JTIPTE). 2 (2) P 9.
- Dearnley, C. & Meddings, F. (2007). Student self-assessment and its impact on learning: A pilot study. Nurse Education Today, 27(4), 333–340.
- Dorgu T. E (2015). Different Teaching Methods: A Panacea for Effective Curriculum Implementation in the Classroom. International Journal of Secondary Education. Special Issue: Teaching Methods and Learning Styles in Education. Vol. 3, No. 6-1, pp. 77-87. doi: 10.11648/j.ijsedu.s.2015030601.13
- Earl L, Katz S. (2006). Rethinking classroom assessment with purpose in mind: Assessment for learning, assessment as learning, assessment of learning. UK: Manitoba Education, Citizenship & Youth.
- Earl L. (2012). Assessment as learning: Using classroom assessment to maximize student learning. London: Corwin Press.
- Gaberson, K., Oermann, M. & Schellenbarger, T. (2015). Clinical teaching strategies in nursing (4th ed.). New York: Springer.
- Gbamanja, S.P.T. (1991). Essentials of curriculum and instruction: theory and practice. Port-Harcourt: Pam Unique Publishers.
- Kajander-Unkuri, S., Meretoja, R., Katajisto, J., Saarikoski, M., Salminen, L., Suhonene, R. & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2013). Self-assessed level of competence of graduating nursing students and factors related to it. Nurse Education Today, 34(5), 795 – 801.
- Linn R, Gronlund N. (2005). Measurement and assessment in teaching. Engle wood Cliffs, NJ: Prentie Hall.
- Martínez JF, Stecher B, Borko H. (2009). Classroom assessment practices, teacher judgments, and student achievement in mathematics: Evidence from the ECLS. Educational Assessment. 14(2):78- 102.
- Mass, M., Sluijsmans, D., Van der Wees, P., Heerkens, Y., Nijhuis-van der Sanden, M. & van der Vleuten, C. (2014). Why peer assessment helps to improve clinical performance in undergraduate physical therapy education: A mixed methods design. BMC Medical Education, 14, 117. doi:10.1186/1472-6920-14-117.
- Mekonnen G.T. (2014). EFL classroom assessment: Teachers' practice and teaching techniques adjustment in Ethiopia. Educational Research and Reviews; 9 (20):1071.
- Mekonnen G.T. (2014). EFL classroom assessment: Teachers' practice and teaching techniques adjustment in Ethiopia. Educational Research and Reviews, 9(20):1071.
- Molagun H. M. (2006). The Role of Secondary Education In The Promotion of Peace-Culture in Nigeria Kwara State Colleges of Education Women Journal (KWACOWOJ) Vol. 1 No. 1.
- Omiebi-Davids, .I. (2011). Skills in effective teaching. Port-Harcourt: Minson Publishers Ltd.
- Surbhi S. (2016). Difference between Assessment and Evaluation. https://keydifferences.com/difference-between-assessment-and-evaluation.html
- Taiwo C. O. (1985). The Purpose of Secondary Education in Nigeria. Adaralegbe, A.(Ed). A philosophy for Nigerian education: proceeding of the Nigerian national curriculum conference. Lagos: Heinemann.
- Tulu G., Tolosa T. and J-F (2018). The Nature of Classroom Assessment in Ethiopian Public Secondary Schools: Subject Teachers’ Views. Journal of Education, Society and Behavioural Science 26(3): 1-11.
- Wiliam D. (2011). What is assessment for learning? Studies in educational evaluation, 37(1):3-14.