Main Article Content
This study investigates the efficiency of Allium cepa biomass in removal Cadmium ions from aqueous solution of human blood plasma. The biosorbent was prepared and identified using FTIR which revealed the presence of carbonyl group, amide group, sulphoxide group, ether and aromatic groups. The optimum sorption was investigated and the experimental data revealed equilibrium pH 4, Cd2+ concentration 70 mgL-1 and biosorbent dose 0.80 g were obtained and used to study the equilibrium sorption rate which occurred at 80 mins with 99.98% removal at ambient temperature. The experimental data fitted Pseudo Second order kinetic as indicated by the correlation coefficient value (R2) = 0.9961 with a rate constant K2= 0.3730 g.mg-1.min-1. The experimental data conforms to Freundlich isotherm and Jovanovis isotherm, however Freundlich isotherm showed best fit with correlation coefficient (R2) = 0.632, sorption capacity (KF) = 3.3113 and sorption intensive (n) = 1.870. The separation factor of the Langmuir isotherm (RL) = 0.0141, suggests that the overall adsorption process was favourable.
- Sahmoune, M.N. (2018). Performance of Streptomyces rimosus biomas in biosorption of heavy metals from aqueous solutions. Microchemicals Journal, 141, 87-95.
- Cheng, Y., Yang C., He, H., Zeng, G. Biosorption of Pb (II) ions from aqueous solutions by waste biosorbent from biotrickling filters: Kinetics, isotherms, and thermodynamics. J Environ Eng. 2015; 142, 9.
- Olsson, M.E., Gustavsson, K.E., and Vagen, I.M. (2010). Quercetin and isorhamnetin in sweet and red cultivars of onion (Allium cepa L.) at harvest, after curing, heat treatment, and storage. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 58(4), pp. 2323-2330
- Diplock, A.T., Aggett, P.J., Ashwel, M., Bornet, F., Fern, E.B. and Roberfroid, M.B. (1999). Scientific concepts of functional foods in Europe: consensus document. British Journal of Nutrition, 81; 1
- Yusuff, A.S. (2018). Optimization of adsorption of Cr(VI) from aqueous solution by Leucaena leucocephala seed shell activated carbon using design of experiment. Appl Water Sci, 8(8):1-11
- Hajahmadi, Z., Younesi, H., Bahramifar, N., Khakpour, H. and Pirzadeh, K. (2015). Multicomponent isotherm for biosorption of Zn (II), Co(II) and CD (II) from ternary mixture onto pretreated dried Aspergillus niger biomass. Water Resources and Industry, 11; 71-80.
- Hassan, S.W., El-Kassas, H.Y. (2012). Biosorption of cadmium from aqueous solutions using a local fungus. Aspergillus cristatus (Glaucus group). African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(9); 2276-2286.
- Karthikeyan, S., Balasubramania, R. and Iyer, C.S.P. (2007). Evaluation of the marine algse Ulva fasciata and sargassum sp. For the biosorption of Cu2+ from aqueous solutions. Bioresource Technology, 98, pp. 452-459.
- Ekwumemfbo, P.A., and Jibunor, V.U. (2017). Removal of Lead from human blood plasma using Allium cepa as biosorbent. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, 8; 11.
- Ningchuan, F., Xueyi, G., Sha, L., Yanshu, Z., Jianping, L. (2011). Biosorption of heavy metals from aqueous solutions by chemically modified orange peel. Journal of Hazadous Materials, 185, pp. 49-54.
- Rezaei, H. (2016). Biosorption of Chromiumby using Spirulina sp. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 9(6), 846-853.
- Mishra, A., Dubey, A. and Shinghal, S. (2015). Biosorption of Chromium (VI) from aqueous solutions using waste plant biomass. International Journal of Environmental science and Technology, 12(4); 1415-1426’
- Al-Dujaili, A.H., Awwad, A.M. and Salem, N.M. (2012). Biosorption of Cadmium (II) onto loquat leaves (Eriobotrya Japonica) and their ash from aqueous solution, equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic studies. International Journal of Industrial Chemistry, 3(1); pp. 1-7.
- Fabriano, J., Aline N., Kosasih, J., Yi-Hsu, J., Suryadi, I. (2009). Equilibrium and kinetics studies in adsorption of heavy metals using biosorbent: a summary of recent studies. Journal of harzadous materials, 162(2), pp. 616 – 645.
- Ho, Y.S. (2006). Second-order kinetic model for the sorption of cadmium onto tree fren: a comparison of linear and non-linear methods. Water Research, 40(1), pp. 119-125
- Conrad, K., Hansen, H.C.B. (2007). Sorption of Zinc and Lead on coir. Bioresour. Technol, 98, 89-97
- Amin, M.T., Alazba, A.A. and Shafiq, M. (2015). Adsorptive removal of reactive black 5 from waste water using bentonites clay: isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamics. Sustainability, 7(11), pp. 15302-15318
- Ebelegi, N.A., Angaye, S.S., Angaye, N. and Wankasi, D. (2017). Removal of congo red from aqueous solutions using fly ash modified with hydrochloric acid. British Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 20(4), pp. 1-7.
- Knaebel, S.K. (2004). Adsorption selection. International Journal of Trend in Research and development, Adsorption Research, Incorporated Dublin, Ohio. 43016.
- Abdel-Aty, M.A., Nabila, S., Ammar, H.H., Ghafar, A. and Rizka, A. (2013). Biosorption of cadmium and Lead from aqueous solution by fresh water algae Anabaen sphaerica biomass. Journal of Advanced Research, 4, pp. 367-374.
- Horsefall, M. and Ayebaemi, I.S. (2005). Effect of temperature on the sorption of Pb2+ and Cd2+ from aqueous solution by caladium bicolor (Wild cocoyam) biomass. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, 8(2), pp. 43-50
- Liu, L., Liu, J., Liu, Dai, C., Song, W. and Chu, Y. (2019). Kinetics and equilibrium of U(VI) biosorption onto the resistant bacterium bacillus amyloliquefaciens. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 203, pp. 117-124.
- Krishnani, K.K., Meng, X., Christodoulatos, C. and Boddu, V.M. (2008). Biosorption mechanism of nine different heavy metals onto biomatrix from rice husk. J. Hazard. Mater. 1, pp. 2-10.
- Arami, M., Limaee, N.Y. and Mahmoodi, N.M. (2008). Evaluation of the adsorption kinetics and equilibrium for the potential removal of acid dyes using a biosorbent. Chemical engineering Journal, 139(1), pp. 2-10
- Apiratikul, R. and Murhaba, T. (2004). Songklanakarin, J.Sci. Technol, 26, pp. 199-207.
- Sakthi, N., Andal, M., Rengrai, S. and Sillanpaa, M. (2010). Removal of Pb (II) ions from aqueous solutions using bombax ceiba saw dust activated carbon. Desalination Water and Treatment, 16, pp.262-270.
- Hamdaoui, O. and Naffrechoux, E. (2007). Modelling of adsorption isotherm of phrnol and chlorophenols onto granular activated carbon. Part I. Two-parameter models and equations allowing determination of thermodynamic parameter, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 147(12), pp. 381-394.
- Reddy, K. and Reddy, A. (2010). Removal of heavy metal ions using the chelating polymers derived by the condensation of poly(3-hydroxy-4-acetylphenyl methacrylate)eith different diamines. J.Applied Polymer Science, 88, pp. 414-421
- Rahman, M.S. and Islam, M.R. (2009). Effects of pH on isotherms modeling for Cu (II) ions adsorption using maple wood sawdust. Journal of Chemical Engineering, 149, pp. 273-282