Main Article Content
The purpose of this sentiment analysis study was to explore the Face Threatening Acts (FTAs) on the sentiments of Filipino netizens regarding the resumption of the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation of the Philippine government's drug war. This study employed qualitative design, specifically corpus linguistics and sentiment analysis. The findings revealed that most of the FTAs found in the sentiments of Filipino netizens are threats to the positive face and negative face of the hearer. The sentiments on the proposal to resume the ICC investigation of the Philippine drug war can be clustered into three essential themes or categories- attitude, call to action, and credibility. Additionally, the majority of the participants- Filipino netizens are negative towards the proposal to continue the investigation on the Philippine Government's war on drugs. Finally, the findings revealed that Filipino netizens employ various face-threatening acts in expressing their sentiments and opposition to the ICC probe on the Philippine drug war, thereby highlighting the intricate interplay of politeness theory in shaping public sentiment on this contentious issue.
2. Aporbo, R. (2022) Face-Threatening Acts of Teachers: A Discourse Analysis of Politeness in the Workplace International Journal of Research Publications, 97(1), 189–220 https://doi.org/10.47119/ijrp100971320222958
3. Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3(2), 77–101 https://doi.org/10.1191/1478088706qp063oa
4. Brown, P., & Levinson, S. (1987) Politeness: Some universals in language usage. Cambridge University Press.
5. Cambria, E., Das, D., Bandyopadhyay, S., & Feraco, A. (2017) A Practical Guide to Sentiment Analysis (A. Hussain & E. Cambria, Eds.; Vol. 5) Springer http://www.springer.com/series/13199
6. Chen, G. M. (2015) Losing Face on Social Media: Threats to Positive Face Lead to an Indirect Effect on Retaliatory Aggression Through Negative Affect Communication Research, 42(6), 819–838 https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650213510937
7. Chen, I.-J. (2017) Face-Threatening Acts: Conflict between a Teacher and Students in EFL Classroom Open Journal of Modern Linguistics, 07(02), 151–166 https://doi.org/10.4236/ojml.2017.72012
8. Colaizzi, P. F. (1978) Psychological research as a phenomenologist views it In: Valle, R.S. and King, M., Eds., Existential-Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology Oxford University Press, New York https://www.scirp.org/(S(i43dyn45teexjx455qlt3d2q))/reference/ReferencesPapers.aspx?ReferenceID=573953
9. Creswell, J. W., & Poth, C. N. (2017). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches - John W. Creswell, Cheryl N. Poth - In Sage Publications.
10. Dridi, T. (2021) FACE THREATENING ACTS (FTAS) IN AIPAC POLITICAL ANNUAL SPEECHES BETWEEN 2006 AND 2012 LLT Journal: A Journal on Language and Language Teaching, 24(1), 261–275 https://doi.org/10.24071/llt.v24i1.2684.g2283
11. Georgakopoulou, A. (2001) "Arguing about the Future: On Indirect Disagreements in Conversation." Journal of Pragmatics 33: 1881–1900. Internattional Criminal Court (n.d.). What is the ICC, and what does it do? https://www.icc-cpi.int/sites/default/files/lesson1.pdf
12. Gita-Carlos, R. A. (2022, April 22). ICC has no right to proPH'sH's drug war, Palace insists | Philippine News Agency https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1172747
13. Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. S. (1994) Competing paradigms in qualitative research Sage.
14. Haugh, M. (2010) "Jocular mockery, (dis)affiliation, and face." Journal of Pragmatics 42: 2106–2119.
15. Hornberger, B., & Rangu, S. (2020) Designing Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria.
16. Hunston, S. (2022) Corpora in Applied Linguistics 2nd Edition https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108616218
17. Kemp, S. (n.d.) Digital 2021: Global Overview Report — DataReportal – Global Digital Insights Retrieved July 15, 2022, from https://datareportal.com/reports/digital-2021-global-overview-report
18. Lee, J. S. (2008) The battle of the sexes in Korean entertainment media: Husband vs. Wife TV drama Journal of Pragmatics 40: 2175-2196.
19. Mosiur Rahman, M., Malaysia Sarawak, U., & Manjet Kaur, M. (2018). Factors Affecting Teachers' Implementation of Communicative Language Teaching Curriculum in Secondary Schools in Bangladesh Ambigapathy Pandian In The Qualitative Report (Vol. 23, Issue 5).
20. Nuraeni, W., & Wibowo, N. A. (2018) Analyzing Face Threatening Act in WhatsApp Group Professional Journal of English Education, 1(4), 366–373.
21. Patag, K. J. (2022, June 24) ICC prosecutor seeks to resume probe into Duterte drug war | Philstar.com. https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2022/06/24/2190846/icc-prosecutor-seeks-resume-probe-duterte-drug-war
22. Rahman, F. (2019) Save the world versus man-made disaster: A cultural perspective IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 1-10 doi:10.1088/1755-1315/235/1/012071
23. Rachmat, N., & Otsuka, H. (2021) EXAMINING FACE-THREATENING ACT OF JAPANESE ADVERB YATTO Philosophica, 4, 43–56 https://doi.org/10.35473/po.v4i2
24. Rahmansyah, S., Nur, T., Marta, D. C. V., & Indrayani, L. M. (2020). The Impact of Face Threatening Acts on Hearer (The Wife) Face in A Household Conflict: A Pragmatic Study ELS Journal on Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities, 3(1), 140–149 https://doi.org/10.34050/els-jish.v3i1.9427
25. Santosa, I., & Iskandar, I. (2022) Face-Threatening Acts and Face-Invading Acts of Students' Asynchronous Conversation in Online Learning English Studies Journal, 15(1), 23–35 https://doi.org/10.32678/loquen.v15i01
26. Shenton, A. K. (2004) Strategies for ensuring trustworthiness in qualitative research projects Education for Information, 22(2), 63–75 https://doi.org/10.3233/EFI-2004-22201
27. Silva, L., Mondal, M., Correa, D., Benevenuto, F., & Weber, I. (2016). Analyzing the Targets of Hate in Online Social Media www.aaai.org
28. Salman, H. S., & Betti, M. J. (2020) Politeness and Face Threatening Acts in Iraqi EFL learners' Conversations Article in Glossa a Journal of General Linguistics, 3(8), 221–233 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344637114
29. Sukmawan, R., & Hestiana, S. (2015). Face Threatening Acts in Wayang Golek. International Journal of Linguistics, 7(5), 149 https://doi.org/10.5296/ijl.v7i5.8330
30. Wolcott, H. F. (1994) Transforming Qualitative Data: Description, Analysis, and Interpretation.
31. Yeung, J., & Reuters (2022, June 25) Rodrigo Duterte: ICC prosecutor aims to reopen Philippines drug war investigation - CNN https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/24/asia/icc-philippines-drug-war-investigation-intl-hnk/index.html