Main Article Content
This study analyzed the sentiments of 100 Facebook comments on excise tax using Orange Software. Using the word cloud feature, the top 10 are chosen from the list of frequently used words with at least fifteen instances in the hundred Facebook comments. In the sentiment analysis, the Facebook comments were analyzed as positive, negative, or neutral. Based on the results, 52% of the comments showed positive sentiment, 41% displayed negative sentiment, and 7% expressed neutrality on the issue. In the qualitative analysis of the sentiments, two positive sentiments were extracted, which are: excise tax aids the operations of the government and excise tax subsidizes the transport and business sector. For the negative sentiments, three themes were extracted: excise tax suspension addresses inflation, the government has no concern for its citizens, and leaders are ineffective and corrupt. Positive sentiments demonstrate public support for the excise tax. It is considered essential for government revenues, and suspending it could have significant economic consequences. However, negative sentiments stem from concerns about inflation, distrust in leadership, and perceptions of corruption within the government.
2. Briggs, N. (2022). Senate bill to suspend excise tax on pushed fuel. Nlgcdc. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://nlgcdc.org/senate-bill-to-suspend-excise-tax-on-pushed-fuel/.
3. Cabanban, S. (2022). Marcos prefers fuel subsidies over excise tax suspension. Manila Bulletin. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://mb.com.ph/2022/06/21/marcos-prefers-fuel-subsidies-over-excise-tax-suspension/.
4. Carlos, R. (2022). Duterte OKs DOF’s recommendation to retain fuel excise taxes. Philippine News Agency. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1169890.
5. Congressional Policy and Budget Research Department. (2022). Impact of the TRAIN Law on Prices of Petroleum Products. House Bill No. 9178. https://cpbrd.congress.gov.ph/.
6. Department of Finance. (2022). DOF: Suspending fuel excise tax to benefit rich, not poor families, better to give P33-B cash aid to low-income, vulnerable sectors. Department of Finance. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.dof.gov.ph/dof-suspending-fuel-excise-tax-to-benefit-rich-not-poor-families-better-to-give-p33-b-cash-aid-to-low-income-vulnerable-sectors/.
7. Fernandez, B. (2022). Senate bill to suspend fuel excise tax pushed | Butch Fernandez. Business Mirror. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://businessmirror.com.ph/2022/07/07/senate-bill-to-suspend-fuel-excise-tax-pushed/.
8. Grecia, L. (2022). Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/motoring-news/2020-fuel-exicse-tax-hike-a4354-20191231.
9. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. (2015). Social Psychology: Research Methods. ScienceDirect. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/thematic-analysis.
10. Jimenez, J. (2022). How much are taxpayers paying our politicians and government officials? The Freeman. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/opinion/2019/07/23/1937171/how-much-are-taxpayers-paying-our-politicians-and-government-officials#:~:text=The%20senators%2C%20congressmen%2C%20Supreme%20Court%20associate%20justice%20and,Again%2C%20double%20that%20because%20of%20too%20many%20allowances.
11. Malik, H. S. (2010). Theories of taxation and causes.
12. Mateo, J. (2022). Corruption perception in the Philippines worsens. Philstar Global. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/01/24/1987376/corruption-perception-philippines-worsens.
13. Ramakumar, R. (2022). Why Sri Lanka is facing one of its worst economic crises. World Economic Forum. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/04/sri-lanka-worst-economic-crisis/.
14. Saju, B., Jose, S., & Antony, A. (2020). Comprehensive Study on Sentiment Analysis: Types, Approaches, Recent Applications, Tools and APIs. In 2020 Advanced Computing and Communication Technologies for High-Performance Applications (ACCTHPA) (pp. 186-193). Cochin, India. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCTHPA49271.2020.9213209.
15. Sunstar Davao. (2022, June 28). Increasing fuel prices, increasing commodity prices. [Editorial]. Sunstar Davao. https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1931818/davao/opinion/editorial-increasing-fuel-prices-increasing-commodity-prices.
16. Top Gear Philippines. (2022, July 8). Fuel price increase: January to July 2022. [Online news article]. Top Gear Philippines. https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/motoring-news/fuel-price-increase-january-to-july-2022-a4354-20220708.
17. Watson, G. (2022). Gas Taxes Across OECD Countries | Gas Tax Rates. Tax Foundation. Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://taxfoundation.org/oecd-gas-tax/.
18. Wike, & Schumacher. (2020). Attitudes toward elected officials, voting, and the state. Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/02/27/attitudes-toward-elected-officials-voting-and-the-state/.