Main Article Content
This paper is an analysis of the characteristics of distance education in Uganda in relation to their conformity to the definition of distance education by ADEA. Very little in depth study had been done on ADEAs recommendations and their application in Uganda. This research undertook a case study of eight universities from Western and Eastern Uganda offering distance education programs. They were analysed using ADEA’s characteristics of distance education namely: institutional accreditation, use of a variety of media, provision of two-way communication and, possibility of face-to-face meetings for tutorials. The paper concluded that institutional accreditation played a major role in student selection of university and all eight participating universities conducted face to face sessions. However, there was still a lot of improvement needed in the areas of adoption of technology, the use of a variety of media including computer based learning, video, radio and compact discs. There were also observable gaps in the two way communication between teacher and student.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- 1. ADEA, R. (2002, April). Distance Education and Open Learning In Sub-Saharan Africa. A Literature Survey On Policy And Practice. Retrieved May 2020, from ADEA REPORT: http://oasis.col.org/bitstream/handle/11599/183/02DEinSSA_LiteratureSurvey.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- 2. Brown, G. (2012, November). Definitions of Communication. Retrieved August 2020, from https://www.communicationtheory.org/: https://www.communicationtheory.org/definitions-of-communication/
- 3. Cambridge, D. (2020, April). newspaper. Retrieved April 2020, from cambridge dictionary.org: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/newspaper
- 4. cambridge.org. ( 2020, April). cassette. Retrieved April 2020, from cambridge.org: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cassette
- 5. Cambridge.org. (2020, May). compact disc. Retrieved May 2020, from Cambridge.org: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cd?q=cds
- 6. Collins. (2020, April). Retrieved April 2020, from collins dictionary : https://www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/journal
- 7. COUNCIL, R. (2009, January). SELECTION OF PRINT MATERIAL REQUIRED FOR CLASSROOM USE. Retrieved April 2020, from https://www.crsd.org/: https://www.crsd.org/cms/lib/PA01000188/Centricity/Domain/61/AdminRegs/AR-109-R-2.pdf
- 8. Dictionary, C. (2020, April). workbook. Retrieved April 2020, from dictionary.cambridge.org: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/workbook
- 9. Google. (2020, June). magazine. Retrieved June 2020, from google.com: https://www.google.com/search?q=magazine+meaning
- 10. Google. (2020, April). print definition. Retrieved april 2020, from google: https://www.google.com/search?q=print+definition+&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUG712UG713&sxsrf=ALeKk01DlXOMGa0vD_-KIpk8eZx38WnzRA%3A1618539256704&ei=-PJ4YNLCKvOCjLsPj_2e0AQ&oq=print+definition+&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggA
- 11. Google. (2020, July). Video. Retrieved July 2020, from Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=video+definition+cambridge&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUG712UG713&sxsrf=ALeKk02ELO7TF1WZDJSm_9X645mA51SmYA%3A1618594289718&ei=8cl5YPW8K46i1fAP5_2J4Aw&oq=video+definition+cam&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQ
- 12. Juliana, Bbuye; John, Mango Magero. (2005). Origin and Trend of Distance Education in Uganda. Journal of Social Science , 166- 171.
- 13. K12Academics. (2020, June). computer based learning. Retrieved June 2020, from k12academics.com/p: https://www.k12academics.com/pedagogy/computer-based-learning#:~:text=Computer%20Based%20Learning%2C%20sometimes%20abbreviated,are%20used%20for%20teaching%20purposes.
- 14. Kaplan, Andreas M; Haenlein, Michael. (2016). Higher education and the digital revolution: About MOOCs, SPOCs, social media and the Cookie Monster. Business Horizon , 59 (4), 441- 450.
- 15. Marina, Stock McIsaac; Charlotte, Nirmalani Gunawardena. (2001). Distance Education. The Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology , 1-36.
- 16. Matovu, M. (2012). Distance Education in Uganda: Issues, Opportunities, and Challenges. International Journal of Sustainable Development , 63 - 70.
- 17. Merriam-Webster. (2020, July). reference book. Retrieved July 2020, from merriam-webster.com: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reference%20book
- 18. merriam-webster. (2020, May). telecomunication. Retrieved May 2020, from merriam-webster.com/: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/telecommunication
- 19. Sterling, C. H. (2020, April). Radio communication. Retrieved April 2020, from https://www.britannica.com/contributor/Christopher-H-Sterling/5658: https://www.britannica.com/topic/radio
- 20. Tait, A. (2003, April). Reflections on Student Support in Open and Distance Learning. Retrieved January 2021, from irrodl: http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/134/214
- 21. Wikipedia. (2020, July). television. Retrieved July 2020, from wikipedia.org: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/television£
- 22. Wikipedia. (2020, July). textbook. Retrieved July 2020, from wikipedia.org: https://www.wikipedia?textbook