Main Article Content
The various regulatory agencies of higher institutions directed all tertiary institutions in Nigeria to established Guidance and Counseling units in their respective institutions with the objective of providing quality Guidance and Career services to students and staff within the institutions. Many of these Guidance and Career centres are faced with challenges preventing them from discharging their statutory functions. This article discussed the challenges preventing effective Guidance and Counseling Services in tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Inadequate funding, Shortage of Trained Guidance and Counsellors, Inadequate Infrastructural Facilities and Inadequate Guidance and Counseling Materials will be used as challenges preventing Effective Guidance and Counseling Services and Career Development in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. To address these problems, the paper hereby recommend: allocate fund to the centre, guidance and counselling services should be seen as integral part of educational programme, employ professional/trained counsellors, provide adequate infrastructural facilities and provision of counselling materials.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- 1. Adikwu, V. O. (2019). Introduction To Guidance and Counselling: Beginner’s Guide. Orison Publications. p.37-38
- 2. Ali, H, O. (2014) Career/Vocational Guidance/Counselling: A Tool For Functional Education And Graduate Employability. International Journal and Practice. Vol 2, No 10, p:234-242
- 3. Ardo, M.A. (2017). Problems and Prospects of Guidance and Counselling in Schools and Colleges of Education. International Journal of Education and Educational Research. Vol. 1(1). p.8-9
- 4. Ipaye, B (2006). Roles and functions of counsellors in Nigeria schools. The Nigerian Journal of Guidance and Counselling 2(1). 87- 106
- 5. Onuorah A.E. (2010). Provision and utilization of infrastructural facilities for the unpublished of the secondary school guidance programme of Enugu State. The Nigeria Academic Forum 18(2) 62- 68.
- 6. Onuorah, A.E.& Ogbodo, O. P. (2019). Challenges Facing the Utilization of Guidance Services for Career Choice of Secondary School Students in Enugu Education Zone of Enugu State, Nigeria. Idosr Journal of Arts And Humanities 4(1): 57-62,
- 7. Ogunode, N. J. & Owobamigbe, K. D. (2021) Guidance and Counseling Services in Nigerian Public Primary Schools: Challenges and the Way forward.Central Asian Journal of Innovations on Tourism Management and Finance. Vol 8(2), p:29-37
- 8. University of Ilorin online sit. Unilorin consulting services centre. https://www.unilorin.edu.ng/index.php/registry/190-unilorin- consulting-services-centre/comsit
- 9. University of Ibadan site. Counseling Unit. https://www.ui.edu.ng/counselling.