Main Article Content
Management of human resource is a key factor in achieving organizational goals. Achieving internal efficiency requires relating organizational input and output. The study investigated the influence of Human Resource Management HRM practices of Benue State Ministry of Education on the internal efficiency of secondary education. The study answered four research questions and tested three hypotheses. Descriptive survey and correlational research designs were adopted. The population of the study was 305 school principals and vice from 23 Senior Secondary Schools spread across the 7 Local Government Areas in zone A. A sample size of 177 Principal and vice principals participated in the study selected by a multi Stage random sampling. Two instruments were used for the study; a self-constructed questionnaire title Benue State Ministry of Education Personnel Management Practices Questionnaire (BSMEPMPQ) and Secondary School Enrolment Proforma (SSEP). Four statistical tools were employed for data analysis; Mean, Percentage, Regression and t-test. The study revealed that BSMoE was rated low in compliance to the laid down teacher recruitment, deployment practices. The study established that the internal efficiency of secondary education was generally low. It was recommended that BSMoE should endeavour to follow the laid down teacher recruitment and deployment practices as enshrined in the civil service guidelines, doing this would improve teacher productivity for increase internal efficiency in the secondary education.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- 1. Abdulkareem, Y. A. Fasasi, A. Y. and. Akinnubi, O. P (2011). Human resource utilization and internal efficiency in state-owned universities in Nigeria. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences 1(1):26 -33. retrieved on October16, 2022 from www.hrmars.com
- 2. Afolabi, S.O. (2005). Statistical tools and models for educational planners. Ilorin: Integrity Publications.
- 3. Akeel, M.E. A; Omar, R. and Masrom, M.A.N (2019). Relationship between human resource management and organizational performance: Employee skills as a Mediator. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences: 29-35. DOI: 10.22587/ajbas.2019.13.4.5. retrieved on October16, 2022 from www.ajbasweb.com.
- 4. Apenteng, J.O (2012). The effect of supervision on staff performance in Ga South Municipal education directorate. Unpublished thesis submitted to the Institute of Distance Learning, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in partial fulfilment of the requirement for degree of Commonwealth Executive Master of Business Administration Institute of Distance Learning, Knust http://ir.knust.edu.gh/bitstream/123456789/4891/1/Joyce%20Osae.
- 5. Asamoah, M. K. (2014). Re-examination of the limitations associated with correlational research. Journal of Educational Research and Reviews. 2(4), pp. 45-52. http://sciencewebpublishing.net/jerr/archive/2014/July/pdf/Asamoah.pdf.
- 6. Ayodele, J.B. and Adeleke, F. F. (2015). Internal efficiency of public and Private junior secondary schools in Ekiti state. Mediterranean Journal of social sciences. 6 (5 &1): 154-158 Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://www.mcser.org/journal/index.php/mjss/article/view/7548/7230.
- 7. Benue State of Nigeria (2022) Benue State 2022 Approved Detailed Budget. Retriever on October16, 2022 from https://www.google.com/search?q=benue+state+budget+2022&sxsrf.
- 8. Brito R.P and Oliveira, O.B (2016). The Relationship between human resource management and organizational performance. Competitive advantage and financial performance. Brazilian Business review. 13 (3): 90 –110. Retrieved on October16, 2022 from http://dx.doi.org/10.15728/bbr.2016.13.3.5.
- 9. Dike, B. W. (2022). Human resource planning for effective educational development in Nigeria. International Journal of Institutional Leadership, Policy and Management, 4(1): 92-103. Retrieved on October15, 2022 from www.ijilpm.com.ng.
- 10. Federal Republic of Nigeria (2021). Education sector analysis: Assessing the status of education in the federation and Oyo, Adamawa and Katsina States. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar 2021. Retrieved on July 20,2022 from https://dakar.iiep.unesco.org
- 11. Issahaque M. (2010). An assessment of the internal efficiency of basic education in the Wa Municipality of the Upper West Region. Thesis Excerpt, University of Cape Coast. Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://www.grin.com/document/461294.
- 12. Ithuta K K. J. (2014). Determinants of internal efficiency in public primary schools in Tigania East District, Kenya. Unpublished Research Project of Department of Educational Administration and Planning. University of Nairobi Retrieved October 16,2022 from http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/11295/74182/Ithuta%20.
- 13. Kothari, C.R. (2004). Research methodology: Methods and techniques. New Delhi: New age international publishers Limited
- 14. Mohamad, M.M., Sulaimanb, N.L, Sern L. C, & Sallehd, K.M. (2015). Measuring the validity and reliability of research instruments. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 204: 164 – 171. Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com.
- 15. Mutegi G. N. (2019). Determinants of internal efficiency in public primary Schools in Maara Sub - County, Tharaka - Nithi County. Unpublished dissertation of the school of Education, Kenyatta University, Kenya. Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://ir-library.ku.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/123456789/21932
- 16. Oluchukwu, E. E. (2011): School mapping and planning for efficiency in the school system. In J.O. Fadipe& P. K. Ojedele (Eds). Management of Nigeria Education: Personnel Administration and Quality in Education. Ondo: NIEPA Press. 99-112.
- 17. Omah, I. G. and Adolphus, E P. (2019). Managing Human Resources at the Primary Level of Education in Rivers State. International Journal of Innovative Education Research 7(4):58-64, retrieved on October s15, 2022 from www.seahipaj.org.
- 18. Pitan, O. S (2012) Analysis of internal efficiency in the utilization of human resources in selected secondary schools in Oyo State, Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies. 3(5): 748-752. https://www.jeteraps.scholarlinkresearch.org.
- 19. Surbhi, S (2022). Difference between personnel management and human resource management. Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://keydifferences.com/difference-between-personnel-management-and-human-resource-management.html.
- 20. Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) (2018). Digest of basic education statistics for public and private schools in Nigeria. UBEC. Abuja.
- 21. Yang K. (2014). Factors affecting internal efficiency of primary schools in Nuer Zone Gambella Regional State. Unpublished thesis of the Institute of Education and Professional Development Studies Department of Educational Planning and Management, Jimma University Kenya Retrieved October 16,2022 from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/FACTORS-AFFECTING-INTERNAL-EFFICIENCY-OF-PRIMARY-IN-Abeshu/c1249e10101400aadfe88c4faa50f43810d3fc14.
- 22. Yeung, A.K., & Berman, B. (2012). Adding value through human resources: reorienting human resource measurement to drive business performance. Human Resource Management, 26(3), 321-335. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/adding-value-through-human-resources%3a-reorienting.