Main Article Content
This study is aimed at examining the influence of teaching methods on the learning of chemistry in secondary schools in Buea. The study adopted quantitative research design specifically quasi-experimental research design type. Target population comprised of lower sixth students in secondary schools in Buea Municipality. The sample size comprised of 32 students selected using stratified random sampling and simple random sampling. The quantitative data was analysed descriptively and inferentially. The study established that teaching using laboratory method had more impact on students’ learning as compared to explicit teaching and illustrated lecture methods on the learning of chemistry. This indicated that teaching using laboratory method improves learners’ performance.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Adunola, O. (2011). The Impact of Teachers’ Teaching Methods on the Academic Performance of Primary School Pupils in Ijebu-Ode Local Government Area of Ogun State. Ego Booster Books, Ogun State, Nigeria.
- Akani O. (2015). Laboratory Teaching: Implication on Students’ Achievement in Chemistry in Secondary Schools in Ebonyi State of Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice Vol.6, No.30, 2015www.iiste.org ISSN 2222-1735 (Paper) ISSN 2222-288X
- Aigerim, M., Zukhra, S. and Bakhytkul, A. (2017). Pedagogy of the Twenty-First Century: Innovative Teaching Methods. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.72341
- Alcock, J. (2005). Animal Behaviour: An Evolutionary Approach. Eighth edition. Sinauer Associates
- Amin, M. E. (2005). Social science research. Concept, methodology and analysis. Kampala: Makerere University Printery.
- Anvar, M. (2009). The Comparison between Teacher Centred and Student Centred Educational Methods. Directory of Open Access Journals (Sweden)
- Arbuthnott, K. D., & Krätzig, G. P. (2015). Effective Teaching: Sensory Learning Styles versus General Memory Processes. Comprehensive Psychology. https://doi.org/10.2466/06.IT.4.2
- Ashman, G. (2021). The Power of Explicit Teaching and Direct Instruction. SAGE Publications Ltd. us.sagepub.com › en-us › nam › book273757. ISBN: 9781529731606
- Avis, J. Fisher, R. and Thompson, R., (2018). Teaching in Lifelong Learning: A guide to theory and practice. (third edition) (Open University Press).
- Ayeni, A.J. (2011). Teachers professional development and quality assurance in Nigerian Secondary Schools.World Journal of Education, 1(2):143-149.
- Bandura, A. (1994). Self-efficacy. In V. S. Ramachaudran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of human behavior
- Beth, C. & Betancourt, D. C. (2018). Illustrated Lectures: Imagery, ideas, personae, and sites across South Asia. Dhaka Art Summit
- Borich, G. D. (2011). Effective teaching methods. (7th ed) Boston: Pearson Educational Inc.
- Bruner (1966). Towards a theory of instruction in Snowman, J. and Biehler, R.F. (2007). Psychology applied to teaching (10th Ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, M.A.
- Chukunoye, E. O. (2011). Beyond the Usual Approach of Chemistry Teaching in High Schools. US-China Education Review B 5 (2011) 643-653. ISSN 1548-6613
- Crumly, C., Dietz, P., & D’Angelo, S. (2014). Pedagogies for Student-Centred Learning: Online and On-Ground. Minneapolis, MN: 1517 Media. doi: 10.2307/j.ctt9m0skc
- Crumly, C. (2014). Student-Centred versus Teacher-Centred Learning. In Crumly C., Dietz P., & D’Angelo S. (Authors), Pedagogies for Student-Centred Learning: Online and On-Ground (pp. 3-20). Minneapolis, MN: 1517 Media. doi: 10.2307/j.ctt9m0skc.5
- Daniel, L. S.; Daniel, T. G., Daniel, M. W. (2011). Psychology, 2nd edition. Worth Publishers. p. 264. ISBN 978-1-4292-3719-2.
- Fredricks, J., Blumenfeld, P., Friedel, J., & Paris, A. (2005). School Engagement. In What Do Children Need to Flourish? (pp.305-321). DOI: 10.1007/0-387-23823-9_19
- Ganyaupfu, E. M. (2013). Teaching Methods and Students’ Academic Performance. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention. ISSN (Online): 2319 – 7722, ISSN (Print): 2319 – 7714 www.ijhssi.org Volume 2 Issue 9
- Garner, N., & Eilks, I. (2015). The Expectations of teachers and students who visit a non-formal student chemistry laboratory. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 11(5), 1197-1210.
- Garner, N., Siol, A., & Eilks, I. (2015). The potential of non-formal laboratory environments for innovating the chemistry curriculum and promoting secondary school level students’ education for sustainability. Sustainability, 7(2), 1798-1818.
- Green, J. R. (1994). The illustrated lecture, Quarterly Review of Film and Video, 15:2, 1-23, DOI: 10.1080/10509209409361430
- Hannafin, M. J., & Hannafin, K. M. (2010). Cognition and student-centred, web-based learning: Issues and implications for research and theory. In Learning and instruction in the digital age (pp. 11-23). Springer US.
- Högström, P., Ottander, C., & Benckert, S. (2010). Lab Work and Learning in Secondary School Chemistry: The Importance of Teacher and Student Interaction. Research in Science Education. 40. 505-523. 10.1007/s11165-009-9131-3.
- Hofstein A., Kipnis M., Abrahams I. (2013) How to Learn in and from the Chemistry Laboratory. In: Eilks I., Hofstein A. (eds) Teaching Chemistry – A Study book. Sense Publishers, Rotterdam. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-6209-140-5_6
- Holden, D. K. (2009). A case study of the effects of a teaching method on students' academic achievement in life science and the use of self-regulated learning strategies. http://www.journal.au.edu/scholar/2009/word/DianaK-Holden13-17.doc.
- Hunt, J. R. (1991). Illustrated lecture. J Child Neurol. 1991 Oct;6(4):343-54. PMID: 1940137 DOI: 10.1177/088307389100600411
- Ireri, B. N., Omwenga, E. I., & Wario R. (2017). Approach for Technology Supported Instructions in Handbook of Research on Learner-Centred Pedagogy in Teacher Education and Professional Development. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0892-2.ch007
- Jones, Leo. (2007). The Student-Centred Classroom. Cambridge University Press.
- Kristen, K.B, Malinda, W. G, Monica, D. Kendra, M. (2017). Pedagogical Methods and Technology Used in Chemistry Secondary Education. Mod. Chem appl 5: 223. doi: 10.4172/2329-6798.1000223
- Lemke, J.L. (1997). Cognition, Context, and Learning: A Social Semiotic Perspective. In D. Kirshner & J. A. Whitson (Eds.) Situated Cognition: Social, Semiotic, and Psychological Perspectives, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Maheswari, J. (2019). Relationship Between Teaching and Learning. https://www.slideshare.net/maheswarijaikumar/relationship-between-teaching-learning-177830409
- Mazur, J.E. (2013). Learning and Behaviour (7th ed.). Pearson.
- McKee, E., Williamson, V.M. & Ruebush, L.E. (2007). Effects of a Demonstration Laboratory on Student Learning. J Sci Educ Technol 16, 395–400. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-007-9064-4
- Mehri, E. & Mohammad, N. (2016). A study on chemistry teaching methods, experimental analysis by student-teachers in internship lessons. Journal of Current Research in Science. J. Curr. Res. Sci. Vol., (2), 496-504, 2016. ISSN 2322-5009
- Missingham, D. & Matthews, R. (2014). A democratic and student-centred approach to facilitating teamwork learning among first-year engineering students: a learning and teaching case study, European Journal of Engineering Education, 39:4, 412-423, DOI: 10.1080/03043797.2014.881321
- Moore, K. D. (2007). Classroom Teaching Skills. New York. McGraw-Hill Higher Education
- Peck, M. L., & Williamson, V. M., (2001). Experiences in chemistry. Hayden McNeil Publishing, Plymouth, MI, p 49.
- Peyrefitte, M., Lazar, G. (2017). Student-centred Pedagogy and Real-world Research: Using Documents as Sources of Data in Teaching Social Science Skills and Methods. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092055X17727835
- Randler, C. & Hulde, M. (2007). Hands‐on versus teacher‐centred experiments in soil ecology. Research in Science & Technological Education Volume 25, 2007 - Issue 3 Pages 329-338 https://doi.org/10.1080/02635140701535091
- Salkind, N. J. (2008). Explicit teaching. In Encyclopedia of educational psychology (Vol. 1, pp. 385-386). SAGE Publications, Inc., https://www.doi.org/10.4135/9781412963848.n102
- Snowman, J. & McCown, R.R. (2015). Psychology applied to teaching (14th Ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. ISBN10:1-285-73455-6
- Tambo,L.I. (2012). Principles and methods of teaching: Applications inCameroon schools. Limbe. ANUCAM.
- Tchombe, T. M. (2009). Psychological Parameters in Teaching. Presses Universitaires d′Afrique
- Thomas L. (2020). An introduction to quasi-experimental designs. https://www.scribbr.com/methodology/quasi-experimental-design/
- Varatta, K. (2017). Teacher-centred Versus Learner-Centred Learning. https://knowledgeworks.org/resources/learner-centered-learning/
- Wilson, M. L. (2011) Students' learning preferences and teachers' instructional strategies: Correlations between matched styles and academic achievement. Unpublished dissertation, Liberty Univer., Lynchburg, VA. Google Scholar.
- Yara, P. O. (2010). Adequacy of Resource Materials and Mathematics Achievement of Senior Secondary Schools in South-western. Nigeria journal of social sciences. Vol. 5.1