Main Article Content
Educational planning is key to the realization of education objectives in Nigeria. Educational planning is facing many problems in Nigeria. This article discussed the problems facing planning of education in Nigeria. The article identified: inadequate funding of educational planning, inadequate educational planners, lack of data/information, shortage of planning materials, political influence, political instability and poor capacity development of educational planners as challenges facing planning of education in Nigeria. To address the challenges facing planning of education in Nigeria, the following were suggested: increment in the funding of educational planning, generation of current data, provision of adequate planning materials, employment of more professional planner, policy continuity and ensuring constant training and retraining programme for educational planners.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Aghenta, J. A (1993) Principles and practice of educational planning: Focus on the developing Countries. Benin City: NSEP. PP23-25
- Agabi, O. G (1995) “Educational Planning: An overview’ in Peretomode, V.F (ed) Introduction to Educational Administration, Planning and Supervision. Lagos: JOJA Educational Research and Publishers ltd.pp 12- 14
- Gbenu, J. P. (2012) Educational Planning and Local Community Development in Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies (JETERAPS) 3(6): 850-855
- Longe, R. S. (2003). Iniroduction to Educational Planning. In Babalola, J. B. (ed). Basic Text in Educational Planning. Ibadan: Awemark Industrial Printers.
- Mgbekem, S. J. A., Ntukidem, P. J, Etor, R. B. (2004) Planning Imperatives for Sustainability of Qualitative Educational Enterprise in Nigeria: The Role of the Educational Planner. African Journal of Educational Studies in Mathematics and Sciences, Vol. 2 No. 2,p41-49
- Noun (2009) Concepts and Theories of Educational Administration and Planning EDA 811
- Ozigi, Albert and Canham Peter (1979). An Introduction of the Foundations of Education: London. Macmillan.
- Olaniyonu, S.O.A., Adekoya, S.O.A. and Gbenu, J.P. (2004). Fundamentals of Educational Planning. Ibadan:Olu-Akin Publishers.
- Ogunode, N., Gregory D., & Abubakar, M. (2020). Assessment of political officeholders’ attitudes towards planning of education in Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Nigeria. Journal of Educational Research in Developing Areas, 1 (1), 68-79. https://doi.org/10.47434/JEREDA.1.1.2020.68
- Ololube, N. P. (2013) The Problems and Approaches to Educational Planning in Nigeria: A Theoretical Observation. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences MCSER Publishing, Rome-Italy Vol 4 No 12