Main Article Content
This research deals with the use of figurative language on Joe Biden victory speech. In this research, the problems are arisen about what types of figurative language are used on Joe Biden’s victory speech and what is the meaning of each figurative language used on Joe Biden’s victory speech. The methodology, which used in this research, is the qualitative research and the researchers used content analysis method. The document or content analysis is a research method applied to written or visual materials for the purpose of identifying specified characteristic of the material. The data in this research is Joe Biden’s victory speech. After investigating the types of figurative language on Joe Biden’s victory speech, the researchers found the total 86 sentences that contain examples of figurative language on Joe Biden’s victory speech. There are 5 types of figurative language used on Joe Biden’s victory speech from 7 types of figurative language proposed by Leech. The 5 types of figurative language used on Joe Biden’s victory speech are metaphor, personification, hyperbole, simile, and litotes. Among the 5 types of figurative language often appear used on Joe Biden’s victory speech is metaphor. Metaphor consists of 44 sentences, personification consists of 34 sentences, hyperbole consists of 5 sentences, simile consists of 2 sentences, and litotes consists of 1 sentence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal on Integrated Education (IJIE) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Afrina, P., Setiarini and Anita. (2016). An Analysis of Figurative Language on Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin, The Fisherman And His Wife And The Sleeping Beauty The Woods by Charles Perrault And The Brothers Grimm. Jurnal Ilmiah Sastra.Volume 4. No. 1, June 2016. p.19
- Arikunto, S. (2013). Prosedur Penelitian: Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta
- Ary, D., Jacobs. L.C., Sorensen, C. (2010). Introduction to Research in Education (8thEd.). California: Wadsworth.
- Bogdan, R. and Biklen, S.K. (2003). Qualitative Research for Education: An Introduction to Theory and Methods. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Butarbutar, E. V., Sinurat, B., Herman., and Purba, L. (2020). Idiomatic Expressions in “A Thousand Words” Movie. Actual Social Science Review, Vol 1 No 1 (2020), PP. 1-11. Retrieved from: https://syniutajournals.com/index.php/ASSR/article/view/159
- Creswell, J. (2007). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (2nded.). Santa Barbara, CA: Sage Publication.
- Creswell, J. W. (2010). Research Design: Pendekatan Kualitatif, Kuantitatif, dan Mixed. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Creswell, J.W. (2014). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. London: Sage Publications
- Cuddon, J.A. (2013). A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. Hoboken: A John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Publication.
- Dancygier, B., Sweetser, E. (2014). Figurative Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Dzikra, O.A. (2014). The Analysis Of The Intrinsic Elements Of The Novel If I Stay By Gayle Forman. University of Sumatera Utara Institutional Repository (USU-IR) http://repository.usu.ac.id/handle/ 123456789/39801?show=full
- Ekasani, K.A. (2015). The Use of Figurative Expression: Novel the Doomsday Conspiracy by Sidney Sheldon. International Journal of Linguistics, Literature and Culture, 1(1), 24-33.
- Fadilah, S., Rohaniyah, J. (2018). The Analysis of Hyperbole and Synecdoche in Jokowi’s Political Speeches On 2014 And 2015 Live On Metro TV. Wacana Didaktika, 6(01), 76-85. https://doi.org/10.31102/wacana didaktika.6.01.76-85
- Flick, U. (2013). The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative data Analysis. London: SAGE Publications. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446282243
- Fusch, P., Gene, E., Lawrence, R.N. (2018). Denzin’s Paradigm Shift: Revisiting Triangulation in Qualitative Research. Journal of Social Change, 10(1), 19-32. https://doi.org/10.5590/JOSC.2018.10.1.02
- Harahap, N.S., Mono, U., Tarigan, B. (2019). Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s Speech the Role of the Military in Changing the World: Semantic Analysis. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Literature (JOALL), 4(2), 130-135. https://doi.org/10.33369/joall.v4i2.6933
- Harya, T.D. (2016). An Analysis of Figurative Languages Used in Coelhos’s Novel Entitled “Alchemist”. Premise Journal, 5(2), 45-62.
- Herman. (2015). Illocutionary Acts Analysis of Chinese in Pematangsiantar. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, Volume 4 Issue 12, PP.41-48. Retrieved from http://www.ijhssi.org/papers/v4(12)/Version-2/E0401202041048.pdf
- Herman. (2016). Students’ Difficulties in Pronouncing the English Labiodental Sounds. Communication and Linguistics Studies. Vol. 2, No. 1, 2016, pp. 1-5. doi: 10.11648/j.cls.20160201.11. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=357&doi=10.11648/j.cls.20160201.11
- Herman. (2017). Shift in Translation from English into Indonesia on Narrative Text. International Journal of European Studies. Vol. 1, No. 3, 2017, pp. 72-77. doi: 10.11648/j.ijes.20170103.12. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=520&doi=10.11648/j.ijes.20170103.11
- Hutahaean, D. T., Herman., and Girsang, A. F. F. (2021). An Analysis of Politeness Strategies Found in Pesbukers Variety Show. Wanastra : Jurnal Bahasa dan Sastra, Volume 13, No. 1, Maret 2021, P-ISSN 2086-6151, E-ISSN 2579-3438, PP. 39-46, https://doi.org/10.31294/w.v12i1. Retrieved from: https://ejournal.bsi.ac.id/ejurnal/index.php/wanastra/article/view/9218
- Keraf, Gorys. 2009. Diksi dan Gaya Bahasa. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
- Keyton, J. (2011). Communication and Organizational culture: A key to understanding work experience. Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage.
- Kibiswa, N.K. (2019). Directed Qualitative Content Analysis (DQlCA): A Tool for Conflict Analysis. The Qualitative Report, 24(8), 2059-2079. Available at: https://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol24/iss8/15
- Leech, Geoffrey. 1981. Semantics: The Study of Meaning Second Edition. England: Penguin Books Ltd. Online. Accessed from https://yanjianghk.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/geoffrey_leech_semantics_the_study_of_meaning.pdf on 29th December 2015 at 11. 12 am.
- Maula, M. (2013). An Analysis of Figurative Language on the Poems Entitled “Classic Poetry Series” by William Blake. Cirebon: English Education Department of Tarbiyah Faculty of Syekh Nurjati State Institute for Islamic Studies (Iain). Available at: http://repository.syekhnurjati. ac.id/1843/
- Maulana, R., Laila, D.M., Hum, M. (2017). A Semantic Analysis of Metaphor Found in Selected Lyrics of “The Script”, “Katy Perry”, and “Michael Bublé”. Skripsi thesis, Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta.
- Morgan, T.D., Nelson, L. (2019). The Benefits and Necessity of Public Speaking Education. Research Gate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/332974615
- Pasaribu, B., Herman, and Hutahaean, D. T. (2020). Students’ Difficulties In Translating Narrative Text From English Into Indonesia At Grade VIII Of SMP Negeri 9 Pematangsiantar. Acitya: Journal of Teaching & Education, Vol. 2 No. 1 2020, PP. 12-18. Retrieved from http://journals.umkt.ac.id/index.php/acitya/article/view/1311
- Prasetyo, E. (2019). The Analysis of Prepositional Phrases Found in Song Lyrics of Fool‟s Garden‟s Album Dish of the Day and Its Application in Teaching Writing Recount Text. SCRIPTA-Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris, 1(15).
- Putri, A and Sutrisno, B. (2017). A Figurative Language Analysis of Song Lyric “Mirrors‟ by Justin Timberlake. Journal Of English Language and Literature (JELL).Vol. 02.No. 02.
- Raisa, M., Sudarsono, A.R. (2017). A Study on Figurative Language Covering Simile, Metaphor, Personification and Symbol in Poem. Jurnal Pendidikan dan Pembelajaran Khatulistiwa, 6(10). Available at: https://jurnal.untan.ac.id/index.php/jpdpb/article/view/22318
- Rafida, T. (2018). Semantic Analysis on Lexical Relations in Pujakesuma Language. Journal of Linguistics, Literature, and Language Teaching (JL3T), 4(2). Available at:https://journal.iainlangsa.ac.id/index.php/ jl3t/article/view/754
- Siburian, A. E. et al. (2020). Figurative Language Analysis in Poems of Maya Angelou. Global Science Independent Journal, 1(1), 40-53. Available at : https://www.syniutajournals.com/index.php/GSIJ/article/view/169
- Silalahi, D.E. (2015). The English Learners Comprehension on Figurative Language at FKIP UHN Pematangsiantar. Journal of English Department, 2. Available at: https://repository.uhn.ac.id/bitstream/handle/123456789/3690/PGRI%20JOMBANG%20SEPTEMBER%202015.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Simbolon, M. E., Purba, N. A., Herman, & Silalahi. D. E. (2021). An Analysis of Turn Taking Strategies Used by Joko Widodo in an Interview with Metro TV. CENTRAL ASIAN JOURNAL OF LITERATURE, PHILOSOPHY AND CULTURE, 2(3), 24-35. Retrieved from http://cajlpc.centralasianstudies.org/index.php/CAJLPC/article/view/79
- Sinaga, Y. K., Herman, and Siahaan, P. L. (2020). The Effect of Partner Reading Strategy on Reading Comprehension. Journal of English Education and Teaching (JEET), e-ISSN: 2622-5867, p-ISSN: 2685-743x, Volume 4 number 2, June 2020, Page 206-218. Retrieved from https://ejournal.unib.ac.id/index.php/JEET/article/view/10206
- Sinaga, H., Herman., and Pasaribu, E. (2020). The Effect of Anagram Game on Students’ Vocabulary Achievement at Grade Eight of SMP Negeri 8 Pematangsiantar. Journal of English Educational Study, Volume 3 Issue 1 May 2020, Page 51-60
- E-ISSN: 2655-0776. Retrieved from http://jurnal.stkippersada.ac.id/jurnal/index.php/JEES/article/view/655
- Sitanggang, V., Hutahaean, D. T., and Herman. (2019). An Analysis of the Contents of Proclamation of Indonesian Independence in Semantic Role. Multidisciplinary European Academic Journal, Issue Vol 1 No 1. Retrieved from https://www.syniutajournals.com/index.php/MEAJ/article/view/95
- Sugiyono. (2017). Metode Penelitian Kombinasi (Mix method). Bandung: Alfabeta
- Sukmadinata, N. S. 2011. Metode Penelitian Pendidikan.Bandung: PT. Remaja Rosdakarya
- Tambunan. E. R., Sinambela. E. (2018). An Analysis of Figurative Meaning on Obama’s Presidential Speech. The Episteme Journal of English Literature and Linguistics 4(2). https://uhn.ac.id/files/akademik_files/1803080336 _2018_The%20Episteme%20J
- Telg, R. (2014). Speech Writing and Types of Speeches. IFAS Extension, University of Florida.
- Thao, N. V. and Herman. (2020). An Analysis of Deixis to Song Lyrics “My Heart Will Go on” by Celine Dion. Communication and Linguistics Studies. Vol. 6, No. 2, 2020, pp. 23-26. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=357&doi=10.11648/j.cls.20200602.12
- Thao, N. V., Sinaga, M. R., and Herman. (2021). Semantic Analysis of Contextual Meaning in Dialogue of “The Ugly Duckling” Short Story. Walailak Journal of Social Science, Vol. 14 No. 2 (2021): March – April, E-ISSN: 2697-6390. Retrieved from: https://so06.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/wjss/article/view/239940
- Thao, N. V. & Herman. (2021). An Analysis of Idiomatic Expressions Found in Ed Sheeran’s Selected Lyrics Songs. CENTRAL ASIAN JOURNAL OF LITERATURE, PHILOSOPHY AND CULTURE, 2(1), 12-18. Retrieved from http://cajlpc.centralasianstudies.org/index.php/CAJLPC/article/view/54
- Wibisono, R. T. and Widodo, P. (2019). An Analysis of Figurative Language in Online Short Story Posted on The Jakarta Post. Linguistik: Jurnal Bahasa dan Sastra, 4(2), 62-72.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/meaning_(linguistics)